1st Time Passport
Gather the following 7 items
- Online DS-11 application– Download and print two copies. Don’t sign anything yet
- Proof of US Citizenship
- Certified birth certificate, issued by state, County Health Department, or Vital Statistics Bureau. Please note: a hospital certificate is not acceptable
- Naturalization certificate
- Old, expired U.S. Passport
- Two Passport Photos taken in the past three months, no glasses
- Photo ID i.e. driver’s license
- Blank Check Payable to the “U.S. Department of State.” Service fees for adults are 170 (+30 for passport card) and 25 (clerk fee). Service fees for minors are 140 and 25, respectively. The clerk will verify the fees. Some facilities do accept credit card.
- Letter of Authorization. Choose either for an adult or minor. Don’t forget to read PDF instructions
- Permission to Process U.S. Passport Form
- Flight Itinerary if your passports needing to be rushed faster than two weeks
Go to a Passport Acceptance Facility
Once you’ve gathered all your documents, visit a Passport Acceptance Facility (County Court House or Post Office. Most require appointments)
Notify the clerk you are using an expedited service (Visa Network). All contents will be placed into a sealed envelope. If the clerk does not feel at ease about releasing the sealed envelope, suggest that he/she refer to page 31 or 44 of their Passport Agent’s manual, “Hand-carrying of Executed Applications”. Do not open this sealed envelope or the application will be invalid. Include a copy of the DS-11 and order form outside of the sealed envelope for delivery.
- Were less than 17 years of age when his/her passport was issued
- Lost or had their passport stolen. Click here for additional requirements
- Have never had a passport
The Passport Agency requires your applications be created online, and printed one-sided. There should be 2 bar-codes. One located on the top left-hand corner and another on the bottom right-hand corner.
The 2-D bar-codes need to show on white paper, sharp and clear. The paper size needs to be 8 1/2 inches by 11 inches, wrinkle free and clean.
The Letter of Authorization must be handwritten by the applicant only. The pen used must be in black or blue ink and not interchanged. All fields must be completed including Courier Company Name- be sure to write “Visa Network.”
Forms cannot be printed on thermal paper, dye-sublimation paper, glossy paper, or dot matrix paper.
A Passport Agency fee of 170 for just a passport book or 200 for both a book and card is paid at the Passport Acceptance Facility (post office or county court house). Typically, an additional 25 clerk fee is added.
Visa Network Fees
|10-15 business days||60|
|6-8 business days||100|
|3-5 business days||120|
Call Visa Network (415) 693-0330 for 24/Same-Day service
Above fee does not include shipping, bank or extra handling charges that might incur during the process. We won’t charge extra without letting you know. Please include a credit card on the Visa Network order form. Alternatively, you can pay in person or by check/money order.
Attn: Passport Desk
870 Market St. STE 888
San Francisco, CA